Moving to Greece

You have chosen the website of the UKs most experienced load shipping to Greece service provider serving industry throughout UK.

1st Ever Ready provide international relocation and removals services with regular weekly loads moving in both directions, to and from each country. Greece is regularly served by our fleet, and we are able to take full loads, part loads and single items.

At very competitive rates we load & collect from any part of the UK however remote & can deliver to any area of Greece.

We offer a full or part packing service for all moves (or we can supply you with materials), a part or full export wrapping service for effects for extra journey protection, short or long terms storage either in this country or abroad & full comprehensive goods in transit insurance for any value as nominated by the customer (extra charges are incurred) & we have fully trained customer friendly, competent, experienced staff with FIDA trained & regulated personnel, at your country of destination.

We are here to make your load shipping to Greece easy & stress free, thus allowing you to enjoy your new forthcoming horizons. We try to minimise the journey times of your goods by careful selection & keep track of the consignment by use of the latest navigational systems allowing us to be totally aware of the current location of effects.

Please remember this is just some general information for anyone wishing or planning to move to Greece. For more information on any legal and social aspects of making the move visit the website; UK Embassy in Greece or Greek Embassy in London


Population; 10,645,343 people, Greek 98%, other 2% note: the Greek Government states there are no ethnic divisions in Greece

Location; Southern Europe, bordering the Aegean Sea, Ionian Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea, between Albania and Turkey

Geography; Greece's terain is mostly mountains with ranges extending into the sea as peninsulas or chains of islands. Greece has a strategic location dominating the Aegean Sea and southern approach to Turkish Straits; a peninsular country, possessing an archipelago of about 2,000 islands

Climate; temperate; mild, wet winters; hot, dry summers

Language; Greek 99% (official), English, French

Currency; Euro

Government; chief of state: President Konstandinos (Kostis) STEPHANOPOULOS (since 10 March 1995) elections: president elected by Parliament for a five-year term

Religion; Greek Orthodox 98%, Muslim 1.3%, other 0.7%

Economy and jobs

Finding work; UK/EEA nationals have the right to live and work in Greece without a work permit. UK/EEA nationals working in Greece have the same rights as Greek nationals with regard to pay, working conditions, and access to housing, vocational training, social security and trade union membership. Families and immediate dependants are entitled to join them and have similar rights. United Kingdom employment protection legislation does not extend to work wholly or mainly outside the UK. The terms and conditions of employment are a matter of agreement between the employer and yourself.

Minimum Wage; There is no national statutory minimum wage but there are minimum wages for different employment sectors agreed by collective bargaining.

Social Security; Your social security rights in Greece are the same as those that apply elsewhere within the EEA. When you start work in Greece, you will contribute to the Greek social security system and consequently, gain the right to benefits.

Moving to Greece

Pets and animals; If you are planning to take your pets to and from Greece they will require a Pet Passport and you will have to arrange their Shipment. For help and information contact the Dept for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. Their web site is: - - look for Pet Travel Scheme

Cars; Non- residents may keep and use a foreign registered car in Greece for up to 6 months a year. Full information regarding the import of cars is available from the Ministry of Transport and Communications, Directorate General for Transport,
Xenofondos 13, TK 101 91 Athens,

Living in Greece

Renting; Renting before buying a property is always recommenced to give you time to put your feet on the ground and settle into the country.
Both furnished and unfurnished accommodation is available. The Greek sign for "to rent" is 'Enikiazete'. Property to rent is advertised in the newspaper under the heading 'Enikiassis Atkiniton'.
The usual deposit needed for rented accommodation equivalent to two months' rent. Rental contracts are usually for two years. In some cases, the rental contract requires you to find a replacement tenant if you leave before the end of the contract; given that accommodation can be difficult to find, this should not be a problem.
Around 78% of property is privately owned and the rest is rented. Houses make up 55% of dwellings with the rest being mainly apartments. In Greater Athens, it is difficult to find accommodation and prices are higher than in the rest of Greece.

Education; For British families moving to Greece, to continue your or your child's education, there are two main possibilities. Firstly it is possible to study within the Greek system and the second option is to study at an international school, where it may be possible to follow either a UK or international curriculum.
Primary schools are called 'Dimotiko Scholio' and it is compulsory for children to attend them from the age of six to twelve (six years). The school timetable usually lasts from 8:15 until 1:30.
The lower secondary schools are called 'Gymnasio' and attendance at these schools is compulsory for children from the ages of 12 to 15. Pupils do not take an exam to enter the 'Gymnasio'. Programmes last three years and classes can take place in the daytime or the evening.
All pupils follow the same curriculum and there are no options.
Upper Secondary schooling in Greece takes place in Unified Secondary Schools 'Eniaio Lykeia' or Technical Schools (TES). Upper Secondary education is not compulsory and is for students of between 15 and 18 years of age and usually lasts for three years. Students entering Upper Secondary Education must have a 'Gymnasio' school-leaving certificate.

Health; A reciprocal agreement between the Member States enables you to get urgent medical treatment free elsewhere in the EU. In order to claim this entitlement, you will need to have a completed E111 form. You must get this stamped and signed by the Post Office before you go, or it will be invalid. As of 2005, a separate E111 is now required for all members of your family. E111s will cease to be valid throughout the EEA and Switzerland from 1 January 2006, when they will be replaced by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).