Relocation to Hong Kong

1st Ever Ready provide international relocation and removals services with regular weekly loads moving in both directions, to and from each country. Hong Kong is regularly served by our fleet, and we are able to take full loads, part loads and single items.

At very competitive rates we load & collect from any part of the UK however remote & can deliver to any area of Hong Kong.

We offer a full or part packing service for all moves (or we can supply you with materials), a part or full export wrapping service for effects for extra journey protection, short or long terms storage either in this country or abroad & full comprehensive goods in transit insurance for any value as nominated by the customer (extra charges are incurred) & we have fully trained customer friendly, competent, experienced staff with FIDA trained & regulated personnel, at your country of destination.

We are here to make your move easy & stress free, thus allowing you to enjoy your new forthcoming horizons. We try to minimise the journey times of your goods by careful selection & keep track of the consignment by use of the latest navigational systems allowing us to be totally aware of the current location of effects.

Please remember this is just some general information for anyone wishing or planning to move to Hong Kong. For more information on any legal and social aspects of making the move visit the website; British Consulate-General Hong Kong


Population; 6,898,686 (July 2005 est.)

Location; Eastern Asia, bordering the South China Sea and China

Geography; total area: 1,092 sq km. Terrain consists of hilly to mountainous with steep slopes; lowlands in north

Climate; tropical monsoon; cool and humid in winter, hot and rainy from spring through summer, warm and sunny in fall

Language; Chinese (Cantonese), English; both are official

Currency; Hong Kong dollar (HKD)

Government; limited democracy

Religion; eclectic mixture of local religions 90%, Christian 10%

Economy and Jobs

Work permit; The rules denote that if an individual wishes to come to Hong Kong to take up employment an application for an Employment Visa should be submitted to and issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department (“HKID”) prior to the person travelling to the HKSAR. Thus any person scheduled to take up employment in the HKSAR and who has an Employment Visa application pending should wait until his or her Employment Visa is granted before formally relocating to Hong Kong in pursuit of that employment.

Finding work; Foreigners will require a special skill or knowledge to have a good chance of getting a visa for Hong Kong. It is almost impossible for low-skilled, non-skilled, or inexperienced workers to get a work permit or visa in this very competitive environment.

Moving to Hong Kong

Visas & Passport; British passport holders do not need to apply for any visa in advance of a Visit to Hong Kong – whether it is for the purposes of tourism or business. You can stay in Hong Kong for up to 90 days. British Citizens secure a six month Visitor entry stamp when they arrive in the HKSAR. Hong Kong Government website gives more details on Visas, Residency and Immigration.

Pets and animals ; Dogs and cats may be brought into Hong Kong if you have applied for and been granted a special permit. This needs to be issued in advance by the Hong Kong Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department.

Living in Hong Kong

Renting; Property is expensive in Hong Kong. Apartment dwelling is the norm and very few people on the island live in houses. Further out, in the New Territories and on the outlying islands it is possible to rent a village house or a larger home, however the downside is that you may be required to spend more time getting to and from your house. It depends on your needs and what you are looking for accommodation wise.
Generally places are rented for a two year lease with one month's rent as a bond. Make sure you have a diplomatic type clause in your contract allowing you to break your lease in the event that you are suddenly transferred or required to leave the island otherwise lease-breaking can become an expensive proposition.

Education; Education in Hong Kong is quite comprehensive although class sizes tend to be large. Children have the option of entering either a local school (which may be taught in Cantonese or, very rarely, in English). Most expatriates educate their children either through the English Schools Foundation system or at an International School. It depends on how long you will be living in Hong Kong and where you will be next.

Health; Good medical facilities are available, and there are many Western-trained physicians in Hong Kong. Doctors and hospitals generally do not accept credit cards and require immediate cash payment for health services. Check with your health insurance company before undertaking any travel.