Moving to USA

Few organisation deals with load shipping to USA, but this is your chance to experience the highest service and quality of this product.

1st Ever Ready provide international relocation and removals services with regular weekly loads moving in both directions, to and from each country. The USA is regularly served by our fleet, and we are able to take full loads, part loads and single items.

At very competitive rates we load & collect from any part of the UK however remote & can deliver to any area of the USA.

We offer a full or part packing service for all moves (or we can supply you with materials), a part or full export wrapping service for effects for extra journey protection, short or long terms storage either in this country or abroad & full comprehensive goods in transit insurance for any value as nominated by the customer (extra charges are incurred) & we have fully trained customer friendly, competent, experienced staff with FIDA trained & regulated personnel, at your country of destination.

We are here to make your load shipping to USA easy & stress free, thus allowing you to enjoy your new forthcoming horizons. We try to minimise the journey times of your goods by careful selection & keep track of the consignment by use of the latest navigational systems allowing us to be totally aware of the current location of effects.

Please remember this is just some general information for anyone wishing or planning to move to USA. For more information on any legal and social aspects of making the move visit the website; UK Embassy in the USA


Population; 295,734,134 (July 2005 est.)

Location; North America, bordering both the North Atlantic Ocean and the North Pacific Ocean, between Canada and Mexico

Geography; total area; 9,631,418 sq km the terrain; vast central plain, mountains in west, hills and low mountains in east; rugged mountains and broad river valleys in Alaska; rugged, volcanic topography in Hawaii

Climate; mostly temperate, but tropical in Hawaii and Florida, arctic in Alaska, semiarid in the great plains west of the Mississippi River, and arid in the Great Basin of the southwest; low winter temperatures in the northwest are ameliorated occasionally in January and February by warm chinook winds from the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains

Language; English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 2.7%, other 0.7% (2000 census)

Currency; US dollar (USD)

Government; Constitution-based federal republic; strong democratic tradition

Religion; Protestant 52%, Roman Catholic 24%, Mormon 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 1%, other 10%, none 10% (2002 est.)

Economy and Jobs

Work permit; US immigration can be quite complex, but does offer a range of work permit and visa applications. This link provides information on the range of Work Permits and Work Visas for Immigration to the United States of America.

Finding work; The easiest way to find work in the USA is to work for a large international company that can re-locate you to America while retaining you as an employee. This is the simplest way to secure a work visa before entering the USA. There are numerous agencies, career fairs, newspaper advertisements and personal networking groups to facilitate this process. You must be aware of whether your work visa allows general employment or strictly work on the basis of having a high level skill.

Social security; The social security service issues the "SScard" and the "SS#". Like the driver's license number, the social security number is the other most common form of numerical identification used by American citizens. This system allows people to deposit money from their earnings on a long term basis and regardless of how many times they change jobs. Those on nonimmigrant visas have no claim to social security benefits and may need to save up towards their retirement in ways that offset their losses to social security earnings.

Moving to USA

Visas; There are two types of visas for the U.S.: temporary visas (also known as non-immigrant visas) and permanent visas (also known as immigrant visas or a green card).

Temporary visas are issued to individuals who want to spend a limited amount of time in the U.S. They are available for a variety of purposes, such as working, studying, or visiting the U.S. as a tourist. Temporary visas are identified by letters ranging from A to V. Depending on the type of temporary visa you have, you can stay in the U.S. for a period ranging from several months to several years. Your activities in the U.S., however, are limited to those defined by the visa category. For all temporary visas, except for an E visa, an H-1B visa, a L visa, or an O-1 visa, you must show that you intend to return to your country of residence once the visa expires.

Permanent visas are issued to individuals who wish to settle permanently in the U.S. A person who obtains a permanent visa is granted permanent resident status and is officially known as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). Another, more common, way to refer to a permanent visa is as a green card. If you live outside of the U.S., the 3 most common ways to get a permanent visa are based on
(1) an immediate family member who is a U.S. citizen or has a green card;
(2) employment or investment; or
(3) winning the diversity visa lottery (also known as the green card lottery). For individuals already in the U.S., other possibilities may exist, such as applying for political asylum, cancellation of removal, or registry.

Living in USA

Renting; There are some standard requirements to rent a house or duplex and this also applies to some apartments. You will usually need funds in the amount of one month's rent up front and another month's rent to put down as a deposit. It is common for a small portion of the deposit to go to having the place cleaned, even if you have already cleaned it thoroughly in preparation for your departure. It is customary to sign a 6 or 12 month lease agreement; this tells the owner that you intend to live there for the length of time on the lease. Often, but not always, you will be asked for references. This means that others can check that you have been responsible when you lived at other places. The amount of time it takes to have your lease approved can vary from immediately to a week or two while someone checks out your references. You should be aware that some housing estates and apartment complexes have more in depth and complex rules than do individually rented out houses and duplexes and 'college student off campus housing' locations.

Education; Once you have relocated, you will need to transfer your children's education to the US system.
There is a large public education system in the USA. Education is mandatory, whether it takes place by home schooling, private tutors, private schools, public schools, or any combination thereof. Thanks to this public policy the literacy rate in the USA is high. It is far below the desired 100% rate for those 8 years and above, however.
You will be guaranteed public education in your area of residence. To register, all you have to do is find out the name of the school district you are in. Then, ask them which school your residential address puts your children into. Lastly, get the number, and then call the school to inform them that your offspring will be attending.

Health; You will not be assigned to a local doctor. You must have one that is accepting new patients, and be prepared to give them your medical history. Health insurance: warning, health insurance is often more expensive if you smoke tobacco and if you have any pre-existing health problems. If you move to America as part of an employment visa, then you may get employer benefit-insurance immediately.
If you have proof of insurance available, then show it at the hospital front desk or wherever this information is requested at the hospital you go to. In an emergency they will save your life first, then charge you the money second. You will be expected to pay before you leave. Even if you do have health insurance, you will need to pay part of the cost when you have finished being seen by your doctor.